Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Disappeared!

As I expected, I had an early morning. Wil is working in DC and had to take the train so he's gone today from 5AM to 7PM and Lauren is working down in MD so I have the boys all day. Of course Bug decided to wake up at 5:45. He drank his "boo" (bottle of milk) while I tried to get a couple more minutes of sleep. He was good and snuggled until 6:15, but no more sleep for either of us.

I was terrified any noise we made would wake up Monkey - he doesn't like being woken up, he has to do it himself if you want a truly happy kid. Monkey was sleeping in his parent's bed without a noise maker, so I couldn't close any doors to block sound. Bug and I moved down to the couch and watched some Yo Gabba Gabba (Halloween and Scary, very festive) while he finished his boo and ate "booboo" crackers (Goldfish - he can't say fish, and boo is pretty much his back up word for everything he can't say). And maybe that is where you might start judging me, but I feel no guilt. I will happily sit a kid in front of the TV with some fish crackers at 6AM in the hopes of catching a few more precious moments of sleep.

That all turned out nicely and Monkey came down at 7AM. He was still half asleep and complaining about not being able to find his blankie, but he (thankfully) was appeased with his Zizi blankie (the quilt I made him). He snuggled up to me and said, "Zizi, Daddy was sleeping in the bed with me, but then he disappeared!" That's when I decided we would probably be having a very nice morning. I turned on The Great Pumpkin (again, judge away, I don't care) and gave him a bowl of dry Apple Jacks while Bug ate some "you-you" (yogurt) and proceeded to be overwhelmingly cute. He modeled the new cape I made for him. Monkey lounged on the couch.

At one point, Monkey....um...passed some gas and I asked him about it. "Do you need to go potty?" "No, but some steam just came out of my Pull-Up when my butt burped!" Yeah. Awesome. Thanks for that.

Then I tried to take a shower. Both boys were happy and distracted so I went upstairs to shower as quick as possible, but Bug was not fooled. He followed me up there and started to undress himself and joined me. That made my shower twice as long as it should have been. Then I had to find clothes for the boys (Monkey has like 3 pairs of pants, all of which were hidden) while Monkey helped himself to another bowl of Apple Jacks. Did I care? Nope. Were we running late? Of course. Monkey picked out a red shirt and asked to wear it ("I love red!") and as I was putting it on, he gave me a hug and said, "Now am I the cutest ever!?" Of course he was!

So, basically, I'm hoping this morning was a good sign for the rest of the day. Monkey is off playing with friends and Bug is taking a morning nap. My strategy is to pretty much let them do whatever they want so as to avoid any and all tantrums. You want more Apple Jacks? Sure. Go for it. You want to walk around without pants even though it's 50 degrees? Sure. I'll just pull your socks up higher.

It should be a great day.

1 comment:

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

you're a pro! i took a morning TV nap the other day too.