Thursday, January 31, 2008

Mouseketeers

One of the things I liked about my Grandparent's house when I was younger was that they had the Disney Channel. We just had the basic channels at home so stations like Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel were treats. The Disney Channel was very different back then - trying to gain an audience I believe. One of the shows I remember watching was "MMC", which was just the hip, new way of saying Mickey Mouse Club. I was a sucker for anything with singing and dancing really. The show was cheesy and silly, but I was but a young thing and my tastes had yet to develop.

I've thought of this once or twice over the years as many of the cast from that show has become popular. We're talking about Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, J.C. Chasez, Ryan Gosling and Keri Russell. That's two pop princesses, two N'Sync-ers, one of the most attractive men on the planet and Felicity...you could say they were the first Disney Channel produced stars, the front-runners for the likes of Hilary Duff and Shia LaBeouf (and it does not escape me that those names rhyme, but there's no getting around it).

Now, my tastes for these MMC stars have changed throughout the years as they've gone through different stages of their careers. I've always liked Ryan Gosling. He was cute then and he's hot now, what's there not to like? Not to mention his family is LDS. I mean, look at him with that amazing side part! He's also just a really great actor. He chooses great, challenging parts that set him apart from the pack. Plus he did the Notebook, which every girl loves.









I've also pretty much always liked Keri Russell. I hated it when she cut all her hair off during Felicity - but just recently saw her in Waitress and she was spectacular. It was a good movie and well acted on her part.

Then we have our boy-banders. I'm not really sure what J.C. Chasez is up to at the moment, but we always know where Justin is thanks to the tabloids. Justin has carved a nice little career out for himself and now seems to be very careful in choosing acting parts that will counter act his former boy band, MMC status. Plus, his style is very much improved.

Then we come to our pop princesses, Britney and Christina. Christina has had her crazy days, but they pale in comparison to Britney 2008. Christina has maintained her career - changing with her age and with the times and always receiving recognition for her work. She's also married and had a child - and has yet to make any major media headlines outside of the recent birth of her son. You can tell all she's ever wanted to do was sing and she actually is very good at it - she has amazing range.














Finally there's Britney. She was kind of a plain looking little girl.

We all know what's happened to her. It's plastered everywhere. She did great for a while. Yes, she lip syncs like there's no tomorrow and shows too much skin - but she was successful. I even went to one of her concerts.
Now, who knows. She has a lot to work through and a lot of problems to work her way out of...not to mention a public image that may not ever be salvaged. At least not since the head shaving.


Basically, I think it's amazing the places you can go and where you can end up if you make the right choices. I also think it's crazy how you get such a huge example of successful and not so successful careers from this one show. Whoever did these auditions knew what they were doing.

And now, youtube videos, because this post wouldn't be complete otherwise.

Um. Amazing. The outfits, the lyrics, the dance moves, the token black guy and oh so much more.


Christina Aguilera. Listen to her voice - she's singing like a 40 year old gospel singer.




"Tell him why girlfriend."


and looking at these clips makes me wonder what on earth I was thinking....I suppose I was only 6.

1 comment:

CORYNN AND JER said...

I never realized he was on MMC, too. Who's the black kid? Is he famous now? And, yes, Ryan Gosling is a total fox, I agree.