We learn in the church that death does not have to be a sad event - it is not the end. In fact, I find comfort in knowing that President Hinckley is in a better place, reunited with his loving wife. Still, we mourn for OUR loss - we mourn for the years we will not be able talk to, listen to, laugh with or hug. This has always made me feel somewhat selfish...but hopefully that will not matter in the end when we are all reunited with one another.Someone told me once that people tend to feel more connected to the Prophet of their college years. This made sense to me because I often found myself yearning to hear what President Hinckley had to say during times of strife in my life and finding that it was as comforting to me as a hug from my mom. This great man, who I never personally met, knew me and prayed for me and talked to me through the spirit. That is amazing and it is one of the things I love most about being a member of the church. The words and actions of President Hinckley touched my heart in ways I cannot express.
The first and only time I saw President Hinckley in person was at a session of General Conference in Salt Lake. He entered the conference center with a huge smile on his face and left the same way, waving his cane, happily greeting the people he loved. This is how I will always remember him...

He was a great man who did so much for the church and touched the lives of so many people. I am happy to have been able to hear his words and to have been touched by his loving spirit. He will be missed.
Other posts about President Hinckley:
Megan
Heidi
Amy
Beautopotamus
Beautopotamus - Facts about the Church
1 comment:
Thanks for your post, pal. I just love the pictures you posted of President Hinckley. Didn't he have the best smile? I loved when he would use his cane as a prop to wave, instead of a prop to prop him up. So dear. We'll all miss him.
Post a Comment