Monkey was born, I decided to make him a quilt. He now calls it his "Zizi Blankie". I went with a loose "jungle" theme, mostly because I was already calling him Monkey and decided to embroider monkeys on some of the patches. So the corresponding fabric had to have an animal vibe. I went with very soft, fluffy green for the back of the quilt (which you can kind of see in the corner there) and an array of orange, yellow, green and blue for the front patches. I was also trying to match a lot of the stuff Lauren had already purchased for him - lots of green, blue and orange. It was successful and I was happy with the outcome, not to mention the adorable baby boy who was wrapped up warmly in it.Now I have to make a quilt for J 2.0, who will be arriving pretty darn soon in terms of quilt-making time. I decided to go with a rocket theme for Baby J (who very well could end up being my little Rocket Man...only time will tell). I wasn't sure about colors - Mom's crocheted blanket is brown and blue and I like the combination, but I wasn't going to really try to make the two match. However, I went to JoAnn's and found this:
It's the same fluffy, very soft fabric that I used on Monkey's blanket. I looked for this first and was going to pick a solid (thinking I would go with a similar blanket "pattern") but this just jumped out at me. It's fun and it's very much a boy pattern and incorporating the green will help it match the stuff in the boy's room.
So then I went a little crazy and just walked around looking for fabric to coordinate. The patterns had to be somewhat subtle since the main design of the blanket will be the rockets that I embroider. I found fun green dots (which will be used the most) and some other more plain green swatches and then a few blue and orange (I will post pictures of those soon). It will be interesting to see how this all goes together.The embroidery patterns I use are from Sublime Stitching.
I love this site. They are iron on patterns and are incredibly easy to use and very unique. I used the veggie ones to make a couple of aprons for Crinners and Jer when they were married.
I will be using this Atom-ique pattern for Baby J's blanket.
This pattern, unfortunately, gives me fewer options than the monkey pattern since I won't be using the space ladies or the alien head, but it will still be fun...and it is the most appropriate. Although, at this point in time, Lauren cannot have another boy because I have no idea what other pattern I would use to make a blanket (that is unless Lauren is a fan of Lucha Libre! or Tattoos - he would definitely be the toughest kid on the block). She can have a girl because there is this incredibly cute pattern that I am dying to use.So this is what I will be working on for the next few weeks (that is in addition to the project I have for Joshie's birthday on Feb. 15th). Wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed that the fabric cooperates!
1 comment:
YOU KNOW HOW TO EMBROIDER? What can't you do? Amazing :)
Post a Comment