Thursday, June 12, 2008

love

i think it's kind of amazing how traits are passed along in families. not just looks, but mannerisms, personality quirks, personal likes and dislikes, all of that. so here are a couple things i love about my nephews and niece:

i love: that she has my eyes (which are also my dad's eyes - rings of brown, gold and green), her sweetness, her penchant for all things pink and princessy, when she asks me to stay and play with her, when she poses for the camera.

i love: that he is so serious, his chubby cheeks, kissing his belly and toes, making him laugh, cuddling late at night, having magic arms to provide instant comfort, the way he smells, his little baby personality.

i love how much they look like each other.
i love: his sense of humor, his infectious smile, his sweet heart, his love of locks and keys, his laugh, his eyelashes, when he lets me kiss his head.i love: his free spirit, his long curls, his love of super heroes, his gorgeous eyes, his confidence.
i love: how he takes care of the little ones, his independent nature, how he knows what he likes, his intelligence, that he isn't too cool to be goofy (yet).i love: our instant connection, his love of music and dancing, his sense of humor, his caring and thoughtful disposition, how he watches out for jBug, his imagination.i love how much they love each other.
i can't wait to have my own kids and find these things in them. i know they'll be in good company and surrounded by cousins (and aunts and uncles and grandparents and friends) who will teach them all sorts of fun things and who will take care of them and love them. it's an exciting thing to look forward to, but right now, it's exciting for me to have this time with them. i have the luxury of not having to miss this time with them because i'm far away or raising my own family. i can form these bonds and spoil them all i want because i'm the aunt and that's my job. i just love these kids - my life would be pretty boring without them.

2 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

That was how I felt and I realize how blessed I was because of it. I have much better relationships one on one with nieces and nephews than my siblings/cousins have with my kids. Mostly because I had the time to do it.

Megs said...

I love this post. I've been having much more than usual love for my nephews and niece lately, and I totally hear you on this one.