The title has nothing to do with this post - I just happen to be eating one of those right now.
I've been thinking of some things lately. Big things. Life changing things. Now I am going to put some of it out there because I've reached the point where I can no longer mull them over in my own mind and get anywhere productive.
Moving. That's right. I said it. I've thought of it dreamily for the last couple of months. Things like, I am going to move to England. And I've actually looked into doing so, but when my brother-in-law quit his job I went and told them that day that I would go where ever they did. I knew he would start looking out of state for jobs and it just felt like a good idea. I could still be near the boys and my Sissie. I LOVE living near my sister and I have a feeling I will find a way to finagle such an arrangement for the REST OF OUR LIVES. I am quite serious.
But now here are my questions.
Do I actively start looking for jobs in Dallas/Fort Worth and Utah?
Do I just wait to see where Wil gets a job and just pick up and leave with them THEN find a job when I move? I have looked around a little, but nothing too serious since I already have this job here in Maryland.
What if I get the answer that I should move but Lauren and Wil don't?
Am I prepared to get that answer and live away from my family again?
Am I brave enough to do so?
Do I really want to live in Utah or Texas? Seriously. Those two places do not top my list of places I want to live (no offense to those places or people from there, there are just more exotic and easternly locales I would like to be placed in) but they are the two places I am considering, mostly for social reasons.
What is life really going to be like for me here in Southern Maryland?
Do I really see myself finding a husband (or even a boyfriend) here? Let's be honest - I'm not marriage hungry and my life does not revolve around finding a husband, but isn't it important to at least put yourself in the position where the opportunities to date are there? Those opportunities are not very plentiful here and the distance alone from my house to my singles ward to the homes of my fellow ward members causes a lot of distraction.
Obviously this is something I am praying about and trying to figure out what is best for me and where I need to be - I just need to find the right questions to ask. That always seems to be the hardest part for me - forming the correct thoughts. Do I ask if I should move with Lauren and Wil to Texas or do I ask if I should move? Specific or blanket statement? Perhaps I'll ask it all till I get an answer. I'm fairly confident I have made the right decisions thus far in my life - I just need to keep trusting that.
The pros of moving to Texas or Utah would be these:
Closer to friends. Texas has the Murrays and Utah has, well, all of my friends from college except Mike and Jamie.
Wider social circle and more social opportunities.
Change of pace, change of scenery.
It would be a new and exciting adventure. I love those. It could also suck - but at least I will have done something!
Finally, here's something I haven't mentioned to ANYONE. I've been casually thinking about school again. I don't really want to pay for school and the cost alone could keep me out of there - but going back to grad school for something more specialized seems a tiny bit more appealing to me now than it has in the past. I can't even begin to think what I would need to do to figure all that out but thought it was a significant enough change from my previous "I'm so glad to be out of school I'm never going back again" mentality.
8 comments:
When I was considering moving back in the mid-90's I basically made the decision and then said, "Heavenly Father, if this isn't right, then please let me know." I think you should wait and see what happens with the sis, but it sounds to me like you have some happy feet going on and are itchin' for a new experience.
I am itching for a new experience. What I have yet to figure out is if that new experience will present itself here or if I need to go find it.
I just haven't gotten that answer yet and I always have to talk/write things out multiple times during such a process.
I will be waiting to see what happens with Lauren and Wil - that might be part of my answer. I'm just not the most patient person. :)
WOW! This is such a familiar thought-process. I remember feeling so happy and content living at home with my family post-college, but then I started getting that itch for a change (a move, more schooling, travel, etc). I wasn't sure what, but I felt like something was coming, so I just really listened to the spirit and tried to follow every little prompting it gave me.
Just remember that you have your OWN life, and although you might not be next door to Train and Wil, you will always have a wonderful relationship with them (and I'm sure a guest room in their home)! But, this is an exciting time to experience new things, to meet new people, and to have some serious adventures!
My own experience (7 years ago) was nothing less than divine guidance/intervention and in hindsight, I was strategically placed in a spot in order for lots of things to happen. My advice is be open to a change (in whatever form it presents itself), get your ducks in a row, so you are able to heed the call, trust yourself and ditto to Heidi's comment. Good luck!
My two cents...
Utah isn't a great place to meet people when you pass the college age years. Just about everybody who finishes with college moves away from here. Plus, most of your college friends won't be here forever; they'll most likely all move on too.
Texas, as bad as it might seem, is actually a nice place to live. The people are really friendly and geniune. I don't know what the singles life is like in the Dallas area, though. The worst part about Texas is the summers. They are hot and humid (and that's one of the main reasons I don't move back there.)
For whatever that's worth anyway.
Um, excuse me...ALL of your college friends? Thanks. A lot.
okay - not ALL my friends from college - but I consider you a friend from home since I clearly remember knowing and liking you prior to our college years...even if you don't. haha. ;)
Texas Texas Texas! Mike and I are planning on moving there once he has an associates degree, so hopefully in like a year and a half! And we'll be in the Dallas/Fort Worth area too! Put us on your Texas pros list please! :)
Seriously though Lin. It would be just about the most amazing thing ever for me if, in addition to living close to my family, I could have some college friends around. (I don't know where Mandy will end up if she marries Ryan, but I am feeling safe in assuming Texas, and I would loooooooooove to have you both.) :D
Post a Comment