Wednesday, July 23, 2008

um...wow.

I saw The Dark Knight last night. It was scary. And awesome. All at the same time.



I don't really know what to say about it. Heath Ledger was amazing (I am purposefully not posting Joker photos because he freaked me out enough that I don't want to see that face when I look at my own blog). I'm kind of curious to see what will happen next...where do they go from here? Do they go anywhere?

I spent much of the movie hiding in my hoodie with my fingers in my ears and my eyes partially covered. Not just because some parts were a little scary, but because of the anticipation of what was going to happen. The filming was amazing. The movie could have ended much earlier than it did, but I was actually happy it didn't. I liked the extra bit of action and I liked seeing the "message" of the movie come full circle.

I read a review (Eric D. Snider's I believe) that talked about what the three main characters (Batman, The Joker, and Harvey Dent) represent in terms of the theme of chaos/order. I think a lot of what was scary to me (other than the mere existence of the Joker) was all of that underlying stuff. You sit there thinking, "this guy will literally do ANYTHING just because he can AND he is enjoying it." He is completely and utterly unpredictable in the creepiest way possible. That means there is no guessing what will happen next. It kind of makes you part of Gotham - you feel like a sitting duck waiting to see what horrible thing you will be faced with next and trying to really figure out who can be trusted. Obviously, we have the added advantage of knowing that Batman really is a good guy trying to save people and desperately trying to stick to his own moral code.

Not to mention there were some cool stunts...and Christian Bale is extremely good looking.

4 comments:

laurenthequeen said...

Exactly!

And Christian Bale's deep gravely Batmen voice is hot.

Miri said...

We're going to see it this afternoon! I'm so excited and nervous! I'm afraid of Heath Ledger, he looks scary. I'll comment again once I've seen it.

Drew said...

Good-looking enough, I guess, but he has a lisp.

Personally, I thought Christian Bale's gravelly monster Batman voice was distracting and absurd. Every time he spoke I snarked into my fist (to avoid the glares of my fellow filmgoers).

Interesting (but predictable) review though. I think I may feel inspired to write one of my own now...

wil said...

Batman is the greatest superhero ever!!!

He is the paragon of physical and mental performance . . . sigh, finally movies that show you what the comics are really like!

You might get a kick out of this Lin.