I'm tempted to change the title of my blog to that little gem of wisdom. Remember it people. Most people pay money for that kind of advice.
In other news, I'm all moved into my apartment. "All moved in" meaning all of my crap is shoved into my new room and now I just have to get it unpacked and organized. Any other time, I would have turned into Lindsey the Unpacking Hermit and organized the heck out of my room, but there were more important tasks at hand this weekend.
First, there were several things I needed in order to unpack/live. The rest of my junk, for example, which was still at Heidi's house. Also, bathroom necessities, shelves, a lamp or two, trash bins, and the like. So Saturday was spent shopping with my Krilifis. Target and Ikea were the places to go based on my initial internet research. I am trying to not spend a lot of money (since I have very little) and checking out items and prices before hand helped me a lot when I was at the store. I bought mostly what I needed (the luxury items maybe added up to $20) and left behind the things that could wait until later. Ikea supplied me with a few dishes (two giant round yellow plates and two green bowls), a 3 pack of pans for $10, a bath rug for $2, a bedside lamp, a bookshelf for $25 (score! by far the best bang for my buck, although I had to settle for white), two trash bins (one for bedroom, one for bath), and a few select picture frames (I can't live much longer without photos of the kiddos plastered all over my room - I'm in severe withdrawal).
So after the shopping and fetching was complete I headed back to my apartment to empty my car. This time I was without help. That means climbing the stairs 8 or so times (not counting the 5 trips I made at Heidi's). I live on the third floor. I just moved from Maryland. My meager little weak sea-level lungs permitted me two trips every hour or so. I just took my time and unpacked while my lungs desperately tried to gather enough air for the next trip. Dri (my new roommate) graciously helped me and cut out two additional trips. I am hoping it doesn't take much longer to acclimate to the elevation - certainly those stairs should help build up my lungs. So once everything was in my room I promptly left it all behind and went to have some fun with Megan and Whitney.
Megan had some friends over and we started watching Willow. When Whitney (who will now be referred to as Whitley because of a reason I'm sure I'll explain at some point) got home from her date, the two of us made a late night Wal-mart run for Halloween costume supplies. I won't go into much detail regarding our costumes until I have all the pictures to post with them, but they are pretty much amazing. It's a group costume and I spent all day after church (seriously, 1pm to 11:30pm) hand crafting our costumes. I still have mine to finish, but Whitley and Megan's are complete except for details. I'm kind of amazed and proud of myself because I did all the sewing by hand. It's in no way professional, but everything will stay together and you can't see the stitching. Also, much of it was done while Megan and Whitney were wearing the costumes. That's right, I just sewed it all while they stood there quite patiently. I can't wait for the finished products to be captured on film. Stay tuned.
While all this sewing and craftiness was going on, Megan and I continued our Halloween themed movie watching month. We've carefully gathered all the movies that have the least bit to do with the supernatural, fantasy, thriller or horror genres for our veiwing pleasure. I owned a lot that fit into these categories which surprised me, I didn't realize I had to many that were appropriate for October. So far we've watched Corpse Bride (for obvious reasons), The Stepford Wives (killer robot/feminist thriller from the 70s)and Truly Madly Deeply (ghost boyfriend/romantic comedy?). Just yesterday we watched Signs (Aliens), The Brothers Grimm (disappearing children and an enchanted evil witch in a tower) and 1408 (John Cusack in a haunted evil hotel room). We have plenty more on our list (including but not limited to What Lies Beneath, Red Eye, Nightmare Before Christmas and Little Shop of Horrors). I'm thinking we need to throw in a viewing of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (for sake of tradition), Wait Until Dark, The Fall (Lee Pace) and maybe even Edward Scissorhands. I realize that is a lot of movie watching, but you know, I have my priorities.
So there you have it. My room is a mess, but it's mine so that's happy. I will get it organized this week and sleep peacefully knowing I'm not a foot away from someone else and I have my own bathroom. Tonight is more costume making and planning and I'm sure another creepy movie viewing.
1 comment:
I feel like we should also watch Sleepy Hollow, Frankenstein (I have the one that's actually based on the book, and it's not as good as it should be, but it's good), Dial M for Murder, and possibly Touch of Evil, which I forgot is pretty freaky in it's own right. Also, I really want to see The Orphanage at IC, and I know Miri was interested too.
Post a Comment