Thursday, May 10, 2012

Time for an update!

I've been busy, folks! Although the state of my parent's living room would suggest I'm a lazy bum.

I completely repainted the bathroom and bedroom (everything but the closet), including the ceilings.  The ceilings look nice because they are high ceilings. Painting the high ceilings was anything but nice - especially when navigating around the ceiling fan and the angled bits.  My awesome SIL helped with all of the painting and is the only reason I'm not currently sleeping in a half painted mess of a room. Pictures will come soon, I promise.

Once the painting was all done, I got to work putting together what furniture I needed to put together (from Ikea, of course) which consisted of a filing cabinet to match my desk, an expedit shelf turned into bed side table, and a new dresser.  I also had to hem all my curtains.  That literally took me 8 hours.  EIGHT HOURS.  That's condensed.  I hemmed 8 curtain panels.  This included ironing all of them because they were ridiculously wrinkled (the amount of wrinkled that will cause me to iron, which is pretty darn wrinkled).  So I stayed up to the wee hours of the morning hemming curtains thinking I would be able to finish them all!  I finished three.  So I spent the better part of the next day hemming five more curtains (and watching a Top Chef season I missed while living without TV). 

Now I'm finally to phase three of moving in.  Actual box unpacking, organizing, and repacking for storage.  This is where I try really hard to detach myself from the stuff that is actually junk.  I'm getting better at this process (ie, not getting so attached to pointless things for sentimental reasons), not because I watch Hoarders and am frightened for my future, but because I am tired of packing and unpacking all of this stuff.  So, other than my books, I'm trying to think minimalistically.  That's not a word, but you get the idea.

And this weekend I'm running away to spend time with my boys.  They all miss me terribly and the feeling is mutual.

No comments: